I COMMEND YOU TO GOD
When we commend someone or something to God, we present them as suitable for God's approval, acceptance, and responsibility. The assurance of being committed to God's charge is important because nothing that is ever committed to God, our heavenly Father, goes wrong.
Reference: New American Standard Bible (NASB) 'And now I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.'
In today's article, we are looking at the five layers of reference in the above verse. First it says, 'and now I commend you to God'; second, 'and the word of his grace'; third, 'which is able to build you up'; Fourth, 'and give you an inheritance'; Five, 'among those who are sanctified.'
1. And now I commend you to God: Paul says, 'and now I entrust you to God' which is the key that reminds us of our personal connection to God. So Paul says, 'Now I'm leaving you in the hands of God and committing you into His care.' God is the only One who can sustain and uphold you, even when everyone is absent and He will never leave you. So Paul wants them to be mindful of this truth and thereby align with their source, which is God and His condescending love.
2. The word of His grace: What is the meaning, when it says - the word of His grace? It means that the message is about His grace, which equally implies that the blessings that accompany the message is what you did not deserve or merit - it is grace at work that qualifies you.
3. The Word is able to build you up: In the world we live in, the meaning and lifestyle of the Kingdom of God contradicts the most "believed and trusted" facts of today's culture and worldly traditions. But we are nothing less than "the body of Christ," which signifies the corporate extension of Christ Jesus here on earth. Therefore we need to be trained in the ways of the Kingdom - by the Word. As we are built up, we get rooted in the foundation which can never be moved. The Word of grace will also enlighten us to know why God has called and separated us to Himself. Ephesians 1:18 reads, 'The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints.' This is exactly what the Word of His grace will do for you.
4. And give you an inheritance: This is our heritage, the Kingdom inheritance. The Scripture shows us our inheritance and delivers it to us. In other words, the Bible is full of references to the inheritance we have in Christ. We have obtained an inheritance as God’s children. Psalm 16:6 reveals that the boundary lines have fallen for us in pleasant places and we have a delightful inheritance. As the Word builds us up, we understand how to receive and possess our inheritance from our Heavenly Father. Romans 8:17 says, 'Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ.' We obtain our inheritance by hearing the Word of His grace and acting on it.
5. Among all those who are sanctified: This means that the inheritance is for all those He has set apart for Himself and His Kingdom. The message is about His gift of undeserved grace which can build you and help you to obtain what belongs to you as God's chosen people.
The Word doesn't just build you up, it gives you an inheritance. The building up comes before the inheritance. It is so you can be properly plugged into supernatural supply and develop the mindset that generates the capacity for sustaining the inheritance. That way, your inheritance you can be used purposefully, by living out and being conscious of expanding this unique Kingdom.
The Bible says, 'And I say that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ from a servant, though he be lord of all, but is under tutors and managers until the time appointed by the father (Galatians 4:1-2 NMB). When you stay under the ministry of the Word and are managed by the guardianship and tutelage of spiritual authority, you are being built to handle the inheritance God has planned for, prepared for and given to His people.
Scripture Reading - Psalm 16:5; Colossians 1:12; Ephesians 1:11-14; Galatians 3:29.
Guided Prayer: Heavenly Father, I thank you for the Word of your grace which is able to build me up and give me an inheritance among the saints in the Kingdom. As an heir of the Kingdom and a joint heir with Christ, the world belongs to me. Therefore, I thank you for empowering me through your Word to possess my inheritance in Christ. Today and always, I declare your glory and I walk in the consciousness of your blessings that flow graciously on me, in Jesus' Name, Amen!